Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Holy Face Feast Day is Shrove Tuesday

Have you heard of the Devotion to the Holy Face? Neither had I until my friend Michaela sent me this amazing site. The Holy Face Feast Day is actually on Shrove Tuesday, this coming Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. Well...in my infinite ignorance, I had never heard of Shrove Tuesday either! Here is a brief explanation of the origin of the holiday. Now, I HAVE heard of the New Orleans variation of Fat Tuesday, the day of eating up all the sweets and treats and good stuff in the house in order to purge it before the fasting of Lent begins. Here is another bit of info on how Shrove Tuesday became Fat Tuesday.

Well, hence the name Murphy, we are Irish through and through, yes even my heritage, being Irish and marrying an Irishman....half our girls are redheads, we cry at piper music and we know how to step dance! So HERE is my favorite bit on the holiday. I'm very excited now! I love to see the link of our Liturgical feasts and our own family heritage, especially when it involves PANCAKES! Every two weeks or so we have breakfast for dinner, but we will be sure to have big stacks of pancakes this Tuesday night. Now, you could either be like Jessica, and already be planning your "from scratch" family feast, or you could go to IHOP and partake in their National Pancake Day!

Either way, be sure to share the origins of this yummy feast day with your family! Purge your sins at confession while purging the goodies from the kitchen, take the time to learn a little bit more about the Devotion to the Holy Face, and, if you happen to see a holy image on your pancake, take a picture and send it to me and I will post it here on my blog!

Happy Purging, maybe we'll see you at IHOP!
Mrs. Murphy

No comments: